Friday, September 22, 2006

Mary on the Hill

Whenever Mary's in the news I just have to write about it! She was on the Hill this week endorsing a new magazine from the NIH. The mag “provides unbiased information about the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and research of common diseases to a wide audience.” Sounds good to me!

It’s too bad I heard about this after the fact, because if I had known she was in town, I would have metro’d on over to the Hill to catch a glimpse of Mary.

‘Cause I’m a Mary Tyler Moore stalker (just in case you couldn’t tell from my Minneapolis pics).

Growing up, my family watched a lot of Nick at Nite and around the age of 10, I fell in love with the DVD and MTM shows. I used to flip through the new TV Guide each week to make sure I caught every show/movie/infomercial that she might be on. And then in the 90’s Mary came to my hometown which just added to the obsession (and I got her autograph – woohoo!). When her autobiography came out, just about every family member and friend bought me a copy. Each person was so proud that they had found me the perfect gift that I didn’t have the heart to tell them I already had 8 copies at home!

Several years ago, my grandmother was a guest on the Rosie O’Donnell Show, and I prayed and prayed that Mary would be the star guest that day. I had these dreams of being backstage with G-ma and Mary sitting right next to us getting their makeup done. Unfortunately, I got stuck with Jason Priestly and Chita Rivera, but they both rock too and Chita is way up there on my list of fav stars! So it was all good!

Since being you know, an adult, I decided my obsession/stalking should calm down a bit. And it has for the most part. Not to worry though, I have friends who do the stalking for me. :)


This is Andrew last spring on a visit to New York. He saw a sign for a Broadway Barks auction hosted by MTM, so he headed over and took this lovely picture. Mary is on stage with Bernadette Peters. I have great friends!!

No comments: